Your Support Team for Professional & Community Learning at the College of Education
ConnectEd offers a platform for sharing your work directly with educators and leaders. We can help you organize events from one-hour webinars to multi-day events.
Support We Can Provide
- Registration & budgeting
- Coordinating clock hours & MERIT (STARS) credits
- Room rentals & refreshments
- Procuring and organizing materials
- Set up and clean up
- Managing registration and attendance
- Online learning management system / course website
- Online and in-person session support
- Support thinking through your event, from idea to logistics to facilitation
- Opportunities for facilitators to learn from one another
- Designing exit tickets and surveys
- Collecting and summarizing feedback from participants
Possible Event Formats
Invite participants to think about a new set of ideas in a 45-90 minute session. Webinars might involve any combination of presentation, panel discussion, breakout room conversations, or Q&A.
Work together on a set of learning goals over a series of sessions. Three 1-2 hour sessions over the course of three weeks is a popular online course format, but there are lots of ways to structure a course:
- Identify how many sessions you’ll need and how long each session might be
- Decide how much time there should be between sessions (eg. one intensive week, a three-week series, a year-long fellowship)
- Consider whether you might ask participants to try something out or complete any homework between sessions
- Decide whether the course will take place entirely in-person, online, or a combination. Creating an online, asynchronous course is another possibility.
Bring learners together for a deep dive at a one- or multi-day conference, summit, or institute. Events of this scale require a significant lead time to prepare, so get in touch early!
Have something else in mind?
Tell us about the learning experience you’d like to create and we’ll work together to see what’s possible.
Requesting support for your event
- Fill out this Event Request Form to tell us a little about the course, webinar, conference, or other event you have in mind. There's no need to wait until your event is fully planned; get in touch early in the process so we can work together to identify the support services you might need. After receiving your request, we'll work with you to identify which services are needed to support your event, create a budget, and begin planning. The ConnectEd team will contact you about your request within 5 business days. If you have questions or want to brainstorm ideas, you're always welcome to contact us directly at ConnectEd@uw.edu.
Things to Know
- Getting from “I have an idea!” to advertising the event can take time. It is ideal to have at least one month to plan and advertise events like webinars and courses and a few months or more for larger events like conferences or institutes.
- The services offered by ConnectEd are supported by registration fees and contracted service agreements. We support a limited number of free events, but most events involve a registration fee to participants or some other source of financial support. In our budgeting, we aim to make offerings affordable for participants while covering costs and allowing us to compensate facilitators fairly.
- Professional learning offered for Clock Hours and MERIT (STARS) credit must meet certain requirements, according to Washington state law.
- Request Clock Hours or MERIT Hours for an event you're organizing
Do you have an event already planned that you'd like to offer continued education credits for? The Office of Professional & Community Learning is an OSPI-approved Clock Hour provider and can apply for MERIT (previously called STARS) continuing education status for your event. If you’d like to offer Clock Hours or MERIT Hours for an event you are facilitating or working in partnership with another organization to facilitate, it will need to meet the criteria described here.
If you believe your event meets these criteria, please complete this form to request Clock Hours/MERIT Hours at least two weeks prior to the start of the event. We’ll email you to confirm your request and explain the recordkeeping process.
Questions? Contact us at ConnectEd@uw.edu.
- Recommend a professional learning facilitator
Help us connect with the students and partners you work with. We are looking for interested facilitators with experience leading adult learning opportunities.
Please email recommendations to ConnectEd@uw.edu. Include your name and relationship to the person you are recommending, the name and email address of the recommendee, anything you can share about their background and areas of interest, and what makes you think they would be a good fit.