Independent Study & Internship/Thesis/Dissertation Credits

Requesting an Entry Code

Independent Study, Internship, Thesis, and Dissertation credits require a faculty entry code for registration.  To receive an entry code, please fill out this form. Once you click the submit button, an email will be sent to your supervising faculty adviser. You can expect an email with your add code within the next one to two weeks.   Thesis credits are EDUC 700.  Dissertation credits are EDUC 800. With the exception of summer quarter, students are limited to a maximum of 10 credits per quarter of dissertation (800).

If you do not receive an add code, please do NOT fill out this form again. Contact your supervising faculty adviser through the online directory»

If you have any questions, please contact

Independent Study & Practicum Form »


  • Independent Study: Undergraduate (Course number: 499) and graduate students (Course number: 599) may take an independent study course that encompasses individual research, readings, and/or an exam with a faculty member. Certain programs in the College of Education have specific requirements or forms that you must complete before pursuing independent study. Consult your faculty adviser to discuss the suitability of independent study for your situation.  
  • Master’s project or Master’s exam (Course number: 600): Register for this course if you are in a Master’s program that includes culminating experiences that are projects or exams instead of completing a thesis.  Learn more about the thesis versus non-thesis options here.
  • Internship Credits (Course number 601): Students should use this course number to register for credits if they are in programs with a required internship experience as part of the curriculum. This course number should also be used by international students with F-1 visas who are completing their Curricular Practical Training (CPT) requirements.
  • Thesis Credits (EDUC 700): Master's degree students who write a thesis will need to complete at least nine thesis (700-level) credit hours.  Learn more about the thesis vs non-thesis options here.
  • Dissertation Credits (EDUC 800): Doctoral students who have completed general exams and started dissertation-related work will need to complete a minimum of 27 dissertation credits over a minimum of three quarters. With the exception of summer quarter, students are limited to a maximum of 10 credits per quarter of dissertation (800).

Thesis versus Non-Thesis Options for Culminating Experiences