NW Region School Mental Health Training and Technical Assistance Center
The Northwest School Mental Health (SMH) TA Center is a component of the broader NW Mental Health Technology Transfer Center (NW-MHTTC). The SMH TA Center supports youth and young adults of school age in SAMHSA’s Region 10 (AK, ID, OR, and WA) who have been exposed to violence, are experiencing a mental health disorder, or are at risk of developing such a disorder.
Services/What we do
Direct training and TA on implementation of mental health services in schools and school systems
- Wide range of in-person and online, free and low-cost professional learning opportunities for school staff and community providers (webinars, regional trainings, access to online curricula) on the topics of:
- Evidence-based SMH, universal school-wide strategies to support student mental health, trauma-informed school-based services, multi-tiered system of supports (MTSS) and Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS).
- Evidence-based school mental health models (CBITS, Bounce Back, Support for Students Exposed to Trauma and Psychological First Aid) and receive tailored TA.
- Evidence-informed and feasible school-based strategies for engagement, assessment, brief intervention, and triage models including training and consultation on the SMART Center-developed Brief Intervention for School Clinicians and Counselors (BRISC) model (Bruns et al., 2018).
- Quality assessment of SMH, financing SMH, and everyday school MH for teachers.
- Customized version of the Center for School Mental Health (CSMH) SHAPE (School Health Assessment and Performance Evaluation) System
- Interconnected Systems Framework web-based module
Build infrastructure and learning communities
- NW Region SMH and MTSS Board of Advisors
- NW Region School Mental Health Framework
- Region-wide information mailing and distribution list of schools, districts, MH provider organization and communities to alert them to training and other support to implement evidence-based SMH interventions
- NW School Mental Health Learning Community (NW-SMH LC) – region-wide learning community focused on comprehensive evidence-based SMH for schools, districts and providers.
Support educational leaders to promote mental health for ALL
- Meet with school leaders across the region to assess needs and provide training, mentoring, and technical assistance to support school leaders in their efforts to build and sustain strong school mental health provision including linkages to community resources and providers.
- Mobilize building and district level leaders to serve as champions for SMH provision through SMART Center-developed Helping Educational Leadership Mobilize Evidence (HELM).
Kelcey Schmitz, firstname.lastname@example.org
|Looking for the UW SMART Center’s TAC Core?|
|Looking for the National MHTTC Network?|