In accordance with new regulations from the Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB) of Washington state, as of September 2016 all students recommended for a Residency (initial) teacher certification in P-12 Special Education must also be recommended for a second content endorsement. All students entering UW Master's in Special Education programs beginning in September 2015 will be prepared as special educators with an endorsement in a general education content area, aligned to their certification.
At this time, our plan is that students completing the SEHI program will have Reading (P-12) as a second content endorsement; students completing the LID program will have Elementary Education (K-8) as a second content endorsement, and students completing the ECSE program will have Early Childhood Education (P-3) as a second content endorsement. The purpose of the second endorsement is to provide an enhanced understanding of learning and development in general education for special educators; the intent is not for students to seek positions in the second content endorsement.
Please note that the changes outlined below remain subject to approval by the College of Education faculty, the UW Graduate School, and (in the case of the Early Childhood Education content endorsement) the Professional Educator Standards Board.
We will continue to post updated information as it becomes clear and available, so please check this web page often. If you have any questions, please contact Selma Powell, Director for the Special Education Teacher Preparation Program: email@example.com.
Expected Program Changes
Faculty are currently engaged in program redesign efforts to accommodate the newly required second content endorsement in each of the three M.Ed./Cert. study options. Across all three study options, we anticipate that the following will occur:
- The addition of a second content endorsement will require some additional coursework and/or some additional time in school placements; the exact number of courses and/or time in school placements has not yet been determined.
- Each study option can be completed in 6 quarters of full-time study; the configuration of those quarters will vary depending on the study option (SEHI, for example, will likely include a summer quarter; LID and ECSE will likely not include a summer quarter).
- Because of the second content endorsement requirement, students will be required to complete two content endorsement exams (WEST-E or NES): P-12 Special Education plus the exam for the second content endorsement area.
Shown below is what is known to date about the anticipated format of each study option. To compare with the current format, download and review the current Course of Study form for the appropriate study option.
Low-Incidence Disabilities (LID)
The course work for the special education certification and K-8 Gen Ed endorsement can be completed in 6 quarters and includes an intensive field study/course work final quarter with placement in a general education classroom. The proposed schedule would be as follows:
- Quarter 1 (Fall): Classes 3 days/week, 10 hours/week in school placement
- Quarter 2 (Winter): Classes 3 to 4 days/week, 10 hours/week in school placement
- Quarter 3 (Spring): Classes 3 to 4 days/week, 10 hours/week in school placement
- Quarter 4 (Fall): Classes 3 to 4 days/week, General education Intensive Fieldwork school placement
- Quarter 5 (Winter): Classes 2 to 3 days/week, 10 hours/week in school placement, EdTPA
- Quarter 6 (Spring): Class 1 to 2 day/week Student Teaching 30+ hours/week in school placement
Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE)
The M.Ed. in Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) requires a minimum of 45 credits:
- 6 credits in Educational Foundations
- 21 credits in relevant ECSE
- 9 credits in Assessment & Research Methodology
- 12 credits in assignments in Special Education (e.g. practicum, internship)
Changes to the ECSE program include
Content modification to the following courses:
- EDSPE 561 Educational Assessment of Young Children with Special Needs
- EDSPE 562 Curricula for Preschool Children with Disabilities
- EDSPE 565 Seminar: Early Childhood Education for Children with Disabilities
Additional Required Courses (or courses with similar content):
- EDSPE 460 Early Literary Instruction
- ECFS 400 Child Observation and Assessment
Fieldwork requirement changes
- Three credits in an early childhood (general education) setting will be required.
Special Education High Incidence (SEHI)
The course work for the special education certification and reading endorsement can be completed in 6-7 quarters (adding one summer quarter between year one and year two). The proposed schedule would be as follows:
- Quarter 1: Classes 4 days/week, 10 hours/week in school placement
- Quarter 2: Classes 3 days/week, 16 hours/week in school placement
- Quarter 3: Classes 4 days/week, 16 hours/week (4-5 days/week) in school placement
- Quarter 4: Intensive summer reading endorsement program (3-5 days/week)
- Quarter 5: Classes 3 days/week, 20 hours/week in school placement (Master's exam)
- Quarter 6: Student teaching: 40 hours/week at school (edTPA)
COE Fiscal Staff
|Aileen Angeles||Fiscal Specialist firstname.lastname@example.org||206.221.5930||
Grant Support - Miller
|Serianna Bock||Budget/Fiscal Analyst Leademail@example.com||206-616-0660||
Self-Sustaining Programs, Professional Development, Doi Awards, Travel Grants
|Davis HS Cheung||Budget Fiscal Analystfirstname.lastname@example.org||206.616.7853||
|Steve Cukier||Fiscal Specialistemail@example.com||206-685-1178||
Life Center Fiscal Support
|Erika Hargadine||Assistant Director of Financefirstname.lastname@example.org||206-221-7813|
|Jessica Matheson||Program Operations Specialistemail@example.com||206 (616) 1402||
Post Award Grant Manager & LIFE Financial Manager
|Santhi Perumal||Assistant Dean for Finance and Administrationfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Maile Sanders||Program Operations Specialistemail@example.com||206-221-6803||
Miller Finance Manager
|Eric M. Duncan Sortun||Budget/Fiscal Operations Supervisorfirstname.lastname@example.org||206-616-7812||
Operations, Gifts, RCR & Scholarships
|Yolonda Watson||Fiscal Specialistemail@example.com||206.685.7249||
Gifts, RCR, State & Self-Sustaining Support - Miller