The Education Policy study option prepares you to become a leader who can direct the course of education policy within a school, district, nonprofit, philanthropic organization, or at all levels of government. The program provides a carefully constructed academic curriculum taught by nationally recognized facutly that blends theory with applied policy practice. The curriculum focuses on providing you with a foundational understanding of policy design and implementation, applied quantitative and qualitative methods, the economics of education and school finance, the dynamics of educational organizations, and the politics of policy-making. You will gain a fundamental theoretical understanding of policy, implementation, and evaluation, as well as rigorous hands-on policy experience working with professionals in the field through 150 hours of structured internship.
Graduates of the program leave with the analytical, organizational, and leadership tools to work as professionals in the world of education policy design, implementation, and evaluation, and are prepared to:
- Identify and articulate complex problems facing education systems.
- Establish appropriate policy goals, targets, and tools.
- Develop and direct a process for designing effective, efficient, and sustainable policy solutions.
- Manage and support the policy implementation process.
- Evaluate policy designs and the process of policy implementation.
- Lead a team of policy designers, implementers, and evaluators.
- Make purposeful and positive change in education.