Applications for Summer or Fall Quarter 2019 are still being accepted!
Are you a passionate teacher who feels called to engage in the critical work of teacher-leadership? The University of Washington College of Education proudly offers the Teaching, Learning & Curriculum (TLC) Masters of Education with a Specialization in Instructional Leadership.
Summer 2019 intensive courses: July 8-12, July 15-18, 8:30-11:30 a.m. and 12:30-3:30 p.m.
A TLC masters degree with a specialization in Instructional Leadership offers:
- Highly personalized advising and cohort-based support
- Ability to complete your degree in two years; start date flexible
- A mix of summer, evening, and online courses -- all designed for full-time working teachers and coaches
- Courses with expert UW faculty members engaged in cutting-edge, equity-driven research
- Specialization in a content area or educational focus of your choice
- Assignments that connect research directly to your practice
Learn more about TLC-Instructional Leadership!
This unique masters degree prepares teachers for emerging and critical leadership positions in school and district settings. The degree serves teachers and coaches who want advanced knowledge of leadership and classroom practice, but do not currently aspire to become principals or administrators. Exercising equity-driven leadership, our graduates support and foster the professional development for teachers that can lead to improved student outcomes.
The curriculum blends teacher leadership coursework, content-specific coursework, and inquiry-focused leadership practice based on the 2011 National Standards for Teacher Leadership and 2016 National Teacher Leadership Competencies. Courses draw on the rich knowledge of the UW College of Education faculty as well as notable local experts. A flexible schedule and hybrid format allows you to earn your degree in two years or less, even if you continue to teach full time.
If you want a professional role that directly aligns the twin goals of equity and excellence in education and also nurtures the growth of fellow educators, the TLC-Instructional Leadership masters can offer a transformational experience to you – both personally and professionally.
Applications for Fall or Summer 2019 start date are still being accepted! To set up a phone call or meeting with the program director, please contact Sylvia Bagley, Ph.D.: email@example.com.
Application requirements include:
- 3 letters of recommendation addressing your leadership expertise and/or potential
- Personal history statement
- Statement of purpose: Why is the TLC-Instructional Leadership program of interest to you?
- College transcripts
- GRE scores (no minimum required; considered part of a holistic application package)
Begin your application online. You can save your application and return any time to add more documents.
Read about our previous teacher leadership contract work with local districts:
Kent School District (2014-2016)
Northshore School District (2014-2016)
Lynden and Meridian School Districts (2015-2016)
UW's Instructional Leadership Specialization is an official supporter of the national Teach to Lead initiative.