How and when can I visit the college and the campus?

The 2018 UW College of Education Prospective Student Days! This year we will host both an on-campus series of events (March 29 and 30) as well as webinars for those who cannot join us in person (March 14 & April 9).  On March 29 and 30, we have planned our events in conjunction with the campus-wide Graduate Opportunities and Minority Achievement Program's (GO-MAP) Prospective Student Days so that you can maximize your time here on campus. For more information, visit:

Other Dates.  If you are not able to visit during the above dates, please contact the Office of Student Services and/or the Office of Student Diversity and Inclusion for suggestions about planning your visit.

Where can I find information about tuition and financial aid?

Tuition.  You can access information about current academic year tuition rates from our website (see URL below). The College of Education has tuition tiers. Master’s students are considered Graduate Tier 2, while doctoral students are considered Graduate Tier 1. 

Federal Financial Aid.  The UW Office of Student Financial Aid is the primary source of financial assistance for most graduate students. The most common forms of federal financial aid are Stafford or Perkins (NDSL) loans and work- study awards.  The UW requires students to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be qualified for federal financial aid programs.   Students must be US citizens, permanent residents, or other eligible non-citizens. International students may use the FAFSA to apply for Family Housing and Childcare Assistance, but are not eligible for federal loan programs.

Financial Aid for DREAMers.  Financial aid, through state and institutional funds, is available to students who are not eligible for federal aid because of immigration status.  However, students still need to meet other program requirements. Please use the link below for more information.

College of Education Scholarships.  The UW College of Education Faculty Council distributes a limited number of scholarships annually. Most of these scholarships are made possible through the generous gifts of alumni and other supporters.  In the scholarship process, incoming students are generally given first consideration, as scholarships are primarily intended to assist incoming students during their first quarters of study. Complete the Graduate Student Scholarship Application for 2018-2019.

Research & Teaching Assistantships.  The College of Education offers teaching, research, and staff assistantship positions to approximately 30 new graduate students each academic year. These positions involve a wide range of activities. Primary consideration is usually given to doctoral students with a strong background of successful teaching, research, and/or administrative experience. If you are interested in specifically working on funded research projects, we recommend that you make contact with faculty whose research interests most closely match your own. Students may also wish to investigate graduate student assistantships outside of the College of Education by contacting other departments in which they have an interest or aptitude, or by viewing available positions on-line through the University’s Human Resources Division.

Funding Opportunities Listserv. The College of Education maintains a listserv to help current students and admitted prospective students locate opportunities for funding their graduate studies. The listserv posts several different kinds of funding opportunities that are open to College of Education students, including (a) RA/TA and other Graduate staff positions, (b) scholarships, grants, and fellowships, and (c) certain part-time employment positions. Other information- for example, announcements of FAFSA deadlines or reminders of campus web resources -- will also be distributed to the list periodically. This listserv is not a jobs board or a place to post and receive full-time career opportunities. To subscribe to this listserv, visit:

Additional Advice & Ideas. Please see also the Financial Aid Overview section of our website for additional advice and ideas about funding your education.

How do I find out about Housing and Childcare options?

University of Washington Student Housing.  The University of Washington owns and operates apartments for single graduate students and for graduate students with families.  Go to the University Housing and Food Services (HFS) Student Housing web page to learn more about what student housing options are available to you.

Off-Campus Housing.   Many CoE graduate students choose to live off-campus. There are some benefits and drawbacks to this option. Students use several resources to find off-campus housing.   As always use caution when searching for off-campus housing. For more information, visit:

  • ApartmentList Delivers a comprehensive set of apartment listings with smart features that let you compare and share properties. 
  • Craigslist Provides listings for housing in Seattle. 

Childcare.   The UW Childcare Assistance Program provides a range of services for UW students needing childcare while pursuing their academic goals, with priority given to those who live on-campus. These services include financial assistance to subsidize the cost of childcare and information about how to locate licensed childcare (including on-campus childcare centers).  For more information, visit:

 Now that I’ve been offered admission, what do I do next?

Letter of Admission.  Once you are ready to make your decision about the UW College of Education, simply return to the online Application for Admission (URL below), log in with your e-mail address and password, and indicate your decision.   Note that you must also have your UWNetID set up.  At that point, you must also pay your $250 deposit.   Once you accept the offer of admission, you will immediately see information about next steps, including how to send official transcripts to the Graduate School, as well as document immunizations. International students will find information about how to request a visa application and upload financial documents.

Enrollment Confirmation.  Once you accept the offer and pay the enrollment deposit, you have successfully confirmed enrollment.  If there is no physical packet that is mailed though you should expect to register when your Registration Period opens.  

Address Changes.  If your address changes at any time prior to your enrollment, make sure to update your address by returning to the online Application for Admission (URL below) and logging in with your e-mail address and password. Look for the “update profile” link in the top right corner of the application screen after you log in.

How do I register for courses?

Registration Resources.  You should be able to register for courses through MyUW starting June 18 for autumn quarter.  You should consult with your faculty advisor before registering for courses.  (NOTE: Danforth, L4L, IAL, MIL, School Psychology, & Islandwood students must register through UW Educational Outreach – contact your program administrator for details.)

When will I start classes? Are there other dates/deadlines I should know?

Academic Calendar.  Autumn quarter begins on Wednesday, September 26, 2018.  If you were admitted for Summer quarter, check the Time Schedule (above) for the specific dates of your course(s).  For a complete list of academic dates and deadlines, visit:

College of Education Orientation.  The College of Education organizes a half-day Orientation and evening reception every year, typically on the weekday before Autumn quarter begins. We will email you about our Orientation in June or July, or watch our website for additional information.

Tuition Payments.  For state-supported College of Education programs, tuition is due on the 3rd Friday of each quarter (July 6, for Summer quarter 2018; October 12 for Autumn quarter 2018). For fee-based programs (Danforth, L4L, IAL, MIL, School Psychology, & Islandwood), tuition is due at the time of registration.

How do I learn more about diversity in the College of Education?

Diversity Resources.  The College of Education strives to foster an inclusive climate that is welcoming to all groups and individuals. We recognize that our efforts necessitate a continuing examination of all recruitment efforts; curriculum and pedagogy; institutional practices, and structures.

Office of Student Diversity and Inclusion (OSDI)  With a focus on diversity and social justice, the Office of Student Diversity and Inclusion is committed to equity and access for all students. One of the Office’s primary goals is to connect students to College of Education, University of Washington, and community resources. An equally important goal, however, is to help students develop their own sense of community while attending the College of Education.  To learn more about OSDI, visit:

  • Office: 206A Miller Hall

Graduate Opportunities and Minority Achievement Program (GO-MAP). GO-MAP is a division of the Graduate School that serves the needs of graduate students of color and those from other underrepresented groups while also providing opportunities for all students to learn and develop through experiences in cultural, ethnic, and racial diversity. For more information, visit:

 I’m a prospective international student. Is there anything I need to know or do?

College of Education International Student Resources.  Consistent with the UW’s emphasis on globalization and the College’s efforts to create international partnerships, we encourage and welcome international students to study with us.

Office of Student Diversity and Inclusion (OSDI) In addition to working with domestic underrepresented populations, the OSDI office serves as a resource for international students. The office brings together people in a supportive and nurturing space at the core of building community among the diverse community in the CoE.

International Student Services. International Student Services (ISS) at the University of Washington assists international students with a variety of matters during their stay in the United States, including visa status issues, the registration process, and annual workshops. To contact your non-academic advisor in ISS, visa.

Foundation for International Understanding Through Students (FIUTS).  FIUTS is a community non-profit organization at the University of Washington that helps enhance international understanding and promote cultural exchanges between UW internationals and Americans. Visit FIUTS website if you need more information on UW orientation, Homestay Programs, Friendship Connection and other activities for international students:


How do I access services for students with disabilities?

Disability Resources for Students.  The Disability Services Office (DSO) coordinates academic accommodations for enrolled students with documented disabilities. Accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis and may include classroom relocation, sign language interpreters, recorded course materials, note taking, and priority registration. DRS also provides needs assessment, mediation, referrals, and advocacy as necessary and appropriate. Requests for accommodations or services must be arranged in advance and require documentation of the disability, verifying the need for the accommodation or service.


How can I learn more about the UW and Seattle?

UW and Seattle.  Seattle has all the educational, social, and cultural advantages of a cosmopolitan city, yet is surrounded by the unparalleled natural beauty of the Pacific Northwest. There is something here for just about every preference in food or entertainment.  To explore the Seattle area and the UW campus, visit:

For additional Questions . . .

Office of Student Services.  The Office of Student Services will be your primary contact for questions about getting oriented to the College of Education (specific academic program and curricular questions should be directed to your faculty advisor).  Please contact us:

Faculty Advisors.   You may contact your assigned faculty advisor by viewing the online College of Education directory.
Faculty Directory

Other Resources.  Several other resources exist that may be useful or interesting to you as a prospective graduate student: